Pages are the messengers of the Tarot for me. They deliver the essence of the suit’s energy. My concept of the messenger is someone who is young at heart and always on the go. So they need something nourishing but fast. And there is a bit of comfort food with the page for me because I remember what I loved as a child.
I see the Page of Swords as someone who doesn’t think about their physical needs as much as their mental needs. They are the type who probably came up with the idea of the energy bar. Pack as much as you can into one item and cram it down while heading to the next class. For my Page of Swords, I wanted them to have something fast, simple and nutritious.
This recipe was actually give to me by a short-order cook I worked with at a Girl Scout camp in Pennsylvania. Kip maintained that there was a difference between a grilled cheese and a great grilled cheese. I guess she was right since this recipe was found by Canadian Public Radio. Kid you not! I got a letter that I first thought was a joke. When I called, I found that Mike Enright wanted to do a cheese battle on his program. So that’s how I came to find myself on the radio talking about the pros and cons of cheddar vs american cheese.
It was one of those very fast things that you never expect. Just like a Page of Swords message, right? So here is that recipe which you can still find on my personal site.
Page of Sword’s Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 slices of American Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tomato sliced
- Heat a cast iron frying pan or griddle to hot. By hot I mean that a drop of water dances on the skillet when dropped on it. This is the important part that I didn’t know Do not put any butter in the pan itself at this time.
- Put a little mustard on one slice of bread. Lay the cheese slices on the bread and top with a tomato slice. Put the bread together and dot one side with butter. Turn it over (this is the messy part) and do the same to the other side. Sprinkle garlic powder on this side.
- When the skillet has reached the right temperature, turn the garlic side into the pan. Let it cook for about two to three minutes pressing with a spatula if you like squashed grilled cheese. Before you turn the sandwich over, sprinkle it with garlic powder. Let it cook on the other side about two minutes. You know if you like it golden or burnt so do it your way.
I like this with cream of tomato soup that has a bit of fresh basil and garlic in it. And it must be cream of tomato to make me happy. Ewww on watery tomato soup!
So what do you think of when you think of the Page of Swords? What do you think this card might cook? And do you have any special tricks for your own grilled cheese? I’d love for you to share them here.
1. Seer Of Wands, World Spirit Tarot by Lauren O`leary & Jessica Godino
2. Page of Wands-Circe, Fantastical Creatures Tarot by Conway, D J
3. Page of Wands,The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck
Possibly Related Posts:
- Revisiting: Gravy and Love Letters
- Revisiting: Remodeling Arwen
- Revisiting: Squashed Chicken
- Revisiting: Cabbage, Mama and the Queen of Swords
- Revisting: The Devil’s Favorite Food