One of my favorite Tarot haunts is Aeclectic Tarot. AT and 78Friends both provide me with much needed interaction with other students of Tarot. I often find really intriguing spreads there from other Tarot enthusiasts who, like me, love to design layouts.
This one was posted October 10, 2005. I found it six days later. It was love at first read. I did this for myself, my partner at that time, her children, our friends–pretty much anyone who wasn’t moving faster than I could shuffle and draw. I wanted to test it, you see. It simply wasn’t possible that this simple spread was so accurate. I couldn’t believe it.
And I was wrong. So wrong. This spread has become one of my favorites in my personal repertoire. I don’t read it as one of my “paying” spreads because it is not mine and I never asked permission. I think that’s so important, don’t you? If you are trying to make money off of someone else’s ideas, shouldn’t you at least credit them somehow?
Anyway! I wanted you to have a chance to try this spread out for yourselves. I would appreciate it if you would put a link to your blog entry (if that’s how you share it) or maybe share some of your insights via a comment to this post so others can see more opinions on this layout.
Without further adieu, I give you Pamela Adkin’s A Walk In The Woods.
A WALK IN THE WOODS
a Tarot spread by Pamela Adkins
(This is supposed to look like a winding path.)
1. Stepping out into the crisp Autumn air, you go for a walk in the woods. This is where you are starting from.
2. As you walk down this path, you hear a twig cracking in the brush. These are the fears you will encounter.
3. So you wrap your shawl tightly around you, and grasp it tightly as you quicken your pace. This is that which you will find comfort in.
4. Off in the distance you see a deer with it’s fawn crossing appearing in your path. This is what you don’t expect.
5. A wise owl swoops above your head and lands on a far up branch. This is what you will learn along this path.
6. As you reach the end of your journey, you ponder all that has happened and what has resulted. This is the outcome of your journey.
Now I thought I would also do this reading for you on myself. 🙂 I will be using my Faerie Tarot by Nathalie Hertz (US Games 2008). I’m hoping it survived the dousing I gave it with Diet Coke (sob).
A Walk In The Woods Reading For Arwen Lynch
1. 7 of Pentacles (Rx): Rx stands for reversed. I don’t normally read reversed but this deck was all jumbled up so I thought I’d leave it that way. Positioned this way the coins seems to be over the person’s mouth as if it is preventing them from saying what they need to say. I am starting from an emotional block about money and how I deal with my money.
2. Ace of Pentacles: A bird perches on a coin. At first I thought the tail was a haystack on a wagon but when I focused, I saw the bird. These are my fears I encounter on this path and this is again about money. I actually fear something about the seed energy of money. I believe this is my own fears and worries about my Tarot business. Will it take off? Have I put enough energy in? Too much? All those fears you hit yourself with are in this Ace of Pentacles in this position.
3. Four Of Pentacles: This is what I will find comfort in. A woman gathers up four pentacles. She is leaning over or in the middle of a pond with lotus blossoms. Lotus blossoms have a hidden meaning for me of meditation and enlightenment based on a personal journey I took with a lotus meditation. She seems very calm here working her arms around these four coins. I am involved in several things including my Tarot, my day job in tech support, my writing life and my back to school efforts. I see this as me taking comfort in the many ways I bring money to my world. (Is it me or is this ALL about the money? lol! And I swear I shuffled these cards!)
4. Three of Pentacle: It is taking all I have not to turn over the next cards to see if I get all coins in some sort of Universal GOTCHA game. Here a brownie sits on a pentacle while balancing pentacles over his head. This is what I don’t expect. This card is a card of group effort to me. We see five ladybugs coming to his rescue. I wonder if this means I will find those willing to mentor me and help me move forward. I am taking a pretty fabulous marketing class. Hmmm.
5. Judgment: A beautiful blond woman hovers in the sky. She holds a horn from which a starry spiral pours forth. This is what I will learn along this path. Judgment is the final call in many cases. I believe this means I am going to finally learn what it takes to be successful in the things that make ME happy and not others. Maybe I’m projecting (I often do) but I see this as me learning to be my own judge and to release others from that role in my life. (And look! It wasn’t a pentacle card! Whee!)
6. Ten Of Cups: A happy fey couple holds hands lovingly as they stare out at me. 10 full to the brim cups sparkle around them. The liquid in them is effervescent. They look like a bride and groom Butterflies frame the lower half ot the card. This is the outcome of my journey. I see this as a relationship. Whether it is with myself and my bank account or another person, I see this as a lovely ending to this path.